Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Literacy matters #wlic2015

I'm attending the 2nd session of the IFLA Literacy and Reading Section the World Library and Information (IFLA) Conference taking place in Cape Town, South Africa. This is a round table session, so I'm not sure yet whether liveblogging will be appropriate. However I wanted to highlight the "Literacy Matters" statement (see photo and below). The Section's website is here: http://www.ifla.org/literacy-and-reading . The current guidelines for Library-Based Literacy Programs are at http://www.ifla.org/publications/guidelines-for-library-based-literacy-programs, and one of the aims of the session is to work to revise these
This is the Literacy Matters! statement:
"I read, therefore I am.
I can.
- Be smart and become smarter;
- Communicate with others;
- Understand and connect with new challenges;
- Participate in family life, the workplace and community life;
- Use a range of technologies;
- Think for myself and with others;
- Keep my culture alive;
- Share with others; and
- Be creative and laugh.

I have the world and beyond at my feet.
I can read, therefore I am empowered and can learn lifelong.
I can read, therefore I am part of the future.
I can read, therefore I am,

Because literacy matters!"

No comments: